- September global sales at 223,593 units, down 14.1% y/y
- Sales in Korea recorded 35,801 units, down 30.1% y/y
- Sales outside of Korea recorded 187,792 units, down 10.1% y/y
- Kia to maintain sales momentum through competitive new vehicles including the EV6 battery electric vehicle and all-new Sportage
Kia Corporation recorded total global sales of 223,593 units in September 2021, a 14.1 percent decrease year over year.
Kia recorded sales of 35,801 units in Korea, a 30.1 percent decrease from September 2020. Sales this month were affected by fewer working days due to the Korean Thanksgiving holiday.
SUV models led the company’s sales in its home market. The all-new Sportage recorded the highest sales volume with 4,386 units sold and was followed by the Sorento SUV which recorded 3,820 units. EV6 dedicated BEV model also showed robust sales with the record of 2,654 units.
Sales outside of Korea
Sales outside of Korea decreased 10.1 percent compared to the same month last year with 187,792 units sold. The decrease mainly resulted from the market disruption caused by the semiconductor supply shortage around the globe.
Globally, Sportage led the sales momentum with a record of 24,131 units sold. The record was followed by Seltos which sold 21,288 units then Rio which sold 19,329 units.
Kia will continue to focus on maintaining positive sales momentum and enhancing profitability through new models, such as the EV6 battery electric vehicle and all-new Sportage SUV.
Kia will also continue to take pre-emptive measures to minimize business risks stemming from resurgence in COVID-19 cases and supply issues.
* Sales results are based on wholesale.
* Monthly sales figures provided in this press release are unaudited and on a preliminary basis.