- Turbocharged 4-cylinder PHEV Sorento produces combined 261 horsepower
- Projected 79 MPGe
- Most passenger room and second-row legroom of any PHEV SUV
- Provides a targeted pure electric driving range of 32 miles, more than of any 3-row PHEV SUV
- Combined projected range of 460 miles
- 13 standard advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), including Highway Driving Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Collision Avoidance technology
- Eligible for $6,587 Federal Tax Credit and eligible for various state incentives, including single rider carpool lane access in California
The 2022 Sorento Turbo Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) SUV is the latest addition to Kia’s ambitious ‘Plan S’ electrification strategy and the fourth generation Sorento model range, which was introduced last year in both gasoline-powered and turbo hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) forms. Offering power, efficiency, all-wheel drive capability and three-row seating accommodations, the 2022 Sorento Turbo PHEV will arrive in showrooms in the third quarter of 2021. Pricing will be announced closer to its on-sale date.
The new Sorento PHEV is offered with a 66.9 kW electric motor and a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine that combine to achieve 261 horsepower. The Sorento PHEV has a targeted 32-mile pure electric driving range, the best of any 3-row PHEV SUV, with a projected combined overall range of 460 miles, helping it achieve a targeted 79 MPGe combined rating. Enhancing Sorento’s capabilities is standard torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive, offering go anywhere confidence.
The Sorento PHEV delivers an upscale and feature-rich cabin accommodating up to six passengers. Its 143.8 cubic feet of passenger space and second-row legroom better any other PHEV SUV. Furthermore, it is the only mainstream PHEV SUV to offer three-row seating.
“The Sorento PHEV’s rare combination of drivability, efficiency and spaciousness will make it a compelling choice for our customers,” said Sean Yoon, president & CEO, Kia North America and Kia America. “We’re proud to have it join the popular Sorento model range while also playing a pivotal role in the launch of Kia’s Plan S electrification strategy.”
The 2022 Kia Sorento PHEV will be offered in two trims: SX and SX-P. It will be built in Hwasung, Korea alongside the Sorento HEV.
A Modern Design
The exterior of the 2022 Sorento PHEV is defined by the same sharp, modern lines and high-tech details as the rest of the Sorento range. PHEV-specific elements include:
- Specialized rear badging
- Plug port located at rear quarter panel
- Standard 19-inch wheels
The Sorento PHEV offers 143.8 cubic feet of passenger space, the most of any PHEV SUV. It also has more second-row legroom than any PHEV SUV. In addition to its roominess, premium feel, and vast feature content, the Sorento PHEV’s interior offers the following highlights:
- Standard three-row seating with second-row captain’s chairs
- Standard Syntex synthetic leather seating or available perforated leather seats
- Available aluminum sport pedals
A Strong Foundation
The 2022 Sorento PHEV is built on the strong and versatile “N3” platform. Highlights include:
- Wheelbase is increased by nearly 1.4 inches over the previous generation of Sorento for more interior space
- Average tensile strength is improved by 4 percent compared to the previous generation of Sorento
- Improved driving dynamics, ride and handling, and noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)
- Distribution of impact kinetic energy forces through multi-load-path body structure
A smooth and familiar driving experience for the 2022 Sorento PHEV comes from a sophisticated powertrain with a proven AWD system:
- A turbocharged 1.6-liter GDI 4-cylinder engine with a 66.9 kW electric motor
On the Tech Side
Like the rest of the Sorento model range, the Sorento PHEV offers a wide array of available technology:
- 12.3-in. full digital meter cluster, a first for any Kia SUV (SX-P)
- Surround View Monitor utilizes four cameras to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle, enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations (SX-P)
- Blind View Monitor projects live video view of adjacent lanes in the instrument cluster and is activated via the turn signal (SX-P)6
- Electrochromic rear view mirror (SX-P)
- Smart key with pushbutton start and remote start (from key fob)
- 8 USB charging ports
- 10.25-inch high-resolution color touchscreen display with navigation and telematics (UVO link)
- SiriusXM satellite radio
- Wireless smartphone charging pad
- Bose premium sound system, available with 12 high-performance speakers
- Bose Centerpoint technology converts stereo sources into a richer surround-sound experience
- Dynamic Speed Compensation analyzes the sound source and automatically adjusts according to speed
- Standard Rear Occupant Alert (ROA) uses ultrasonic sensors engineered to detect child or pet movement in the second and third rows after the doors have been locked and then can notify the driver and surrounding area by sounding the horn and illuminating the hazard lamps
A Connected Experience
UVO link telematics offers an array of advanced connected vehicle features, such as:
- Connected Routing: A new cloud-based route calculation system that uses UVO cloud to calculate the optimal route using real-time maps, predicted upcoming traffic info based on historical information and AI to learn the preferred routes of users
- Connected Weather: Provides weather information for more than 25,000 cities
- Enhanced UVO voice assist feature allows voice control of the vehicle’s climate, seat and steering-wheel heating, audio system, and other functions
- Connected User Profiles: Allows customers to add an additional driver to their vehicle. The drivers can add their individual UVO accounts to the vehicle and have access to remote features using the Kia Access App. The profile stores some select settings on the UVO cloud and can be shared with other compatible Kia vehicles
- UVO & Smart Speaker Integration lets customers use Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant enabled smart speakers or devices to remotely control some functions (such as remote start)
- Advanced notifications:
- Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off notifies the driver via the UVO link app if the engine is left idling and, after a pre-selected time, turns off the engine
- 911 Connect and Roadside Assistance will automatically attempt to call 911 via the built-in UVO modem if an airbag deploys. For non-emergencies, it can connect with 24/7 roadside assistance and share the vehicle’s location
- Also available within UVO, for the first time on any Kia, are two new features:
- On-demand Find My Car with Surround View Monitor uses the vehicle cameras to capture images of the vehicle’s surroundings and then share them via the Kia Access app
- Last Mile Navigation provides walking directions to the driver’s final destination if the vehicle is parked between 0.1 and 1.2 miles away
Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems
The Sorento PHEV offers a full suite of standard Kia Drive Wise Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS):
- Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist – Rear (BCA-Rear) with parallel exit: Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles traveling in the next lane. When a vehicle is “seen” in the blind spot, the vehicle brakes the outer wheel under certain conditions to help return the vehicle to its lane
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW): Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW): Designed to detect a vehicle ahead in the lane and in certain conditions, calculates distance and closing speed to issue an alert to the driver if it senses a potential frontal collision
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): Builds on FCW by assisting the driver when braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle, pedestrian or cyclist is detected in front
- Forward Collision Avoidance Assist (FCA) – Junction Turning (FCA-JT): Assists the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions when turning left and an oncoming vehicle is approaching
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA): Uses federal highway speed limit information from the navigation system and, under certain conditions, will automatically adjust speed to be within the posted speed limit and maintain distance with the vehicle detected in front
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist (ISLA): Automatically changes set speed of Smart Cruise Control by using the speed limit information detected through the front camera or GPS navigation information (when activated)
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the center of the lane
- Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve (NSCC-C): Leverages the navigation system to lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves
- Parking Distance Warning-Reverse (PDW-R): Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected. The warning tone chimes faster as the vehicle gets closer to the detected object
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Helps detect most approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and may apply the brakes
- Safe Exist Assist (SEA): Can alert the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. When detected, a chime sounds. The system can intervene to lock the rear doors when the vehicle is equipped with available Power Child Lock
 EPA estimates not available at time of release. Targeted/projected all electric range, MPGe, and total range based on manufacturer testing. Actual all electric range, mileage, and total range will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and your vehicle’s condition
 Comparison based on 2021 and 2022 Plug-in Hybrid SUVs as of August 2021. Plug-in Hybrid SUV class as defined by Kia segmentation.
 Comparison based on 2021 and 2022 3-row Plug-in Hybrid SUVs as of August 2021. 3-Row Plug-in Hybrid SUV class as defined by Kia segmentation.
 No system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver error and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
 No AWD system, no matter how advanced, can compensate for all driver error and/or driving conditions. Always drive safely.
 These features are not substitutes for safe driving and may not detect all objects surrounding vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution
 Do not use remote climate control or remote start if vehicle is in an enclosed area (e.g., closed garage) or a partially enclosed area without ventilation. Close all doors leading from adjacent living areas to the vehicle area before executing a remote climate control or remote start command. Remote feature support varies by model, model year and trim.
 SiriusXM is a trademark of Sirius XM Radio Inc.
 Charging system only works with select devices. Refer to the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual for warnings and instructions.
 Bose is a registered trademark of Bose Corporation.
 Rear Occupant Alert is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all movement within the vehicle. Always check the vehicle interior when exiting the vehicle.
 Available only with Navigation based infotainment system. 1-year service included. After first year, continued access requires subscription at then-current rate. Go to https://owners.kia.com/us/en/uvo-availability.html for more details on specific available features. Navigation is for information purposes only, and Kia does not make any warranties about the accuracy of the information.
 Amazon and Google devices are sold separately and require a Wi-Fi internet connection. Amazon, Alexa, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Google, Google Assistant, and all related logos are trademarks of Google, Inc. Do not use remote climate control or remote start if vehicle is in an enclosed area (e.g., closed garage) or a partially enclosed area without ventilation. Close all doors leading from adjacent living areas to the vehicle area before executing a remote climate control or remote start command. Remote feature support varies by model, model year and trim.
 Engine Idle Notification and Automatic Engine Shut Off notifications require cellular coverage and a compatible smartphone with the Kia Access with UVO link app. Cellular service rates apply.
 911 Connect must be enabled on head unit and activates after air bag deployment. Requires cellular coverage.
 On-demand Find My Car with Surround View Monitor requires cellular coverage and a compatible smartphone with the Kia Access with UVO link app. Cellular service rates apply.
 Last Mile Navigation requires cellular coverage and a compatible smartphone with the Kia Access with UVO link app. Cellular service rates apply.
 Driver Attention Warning is not a substitute for safe driving and may not detect all instances of driver fatigue or inattentive driving practices. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
 Highway Driving Assist is not a substitute for safe driving, may not detect all objects around the vehicle, and only functions on certain federal highways. Always drive safely and use caution.
 Safe Exit Assist is not a substitute for one’s attention and may not detect all objects surrounding the vehicle. Always pay attention to traffic and to the area around your vehicle when exiting the vehicle.