- Of all manufacturers, Hyundai Motor Group, including the Hyundai, Kia and Genesis brands, has the most 2021 awards — 12 regular TOP SAFETY PICK and five TOP SAFETY PICK+ awards
- Hyundai Motor Group now offers 17 TOP SAFETY PICK/TOP SAFETY PICK+ models in the U.S.
- Hyundai brand has 7 awards, KIA brand has 8 awards and Genesis brand has 2 awards
Hyundai Motor Group has the most Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK (TSP) and TOP SAFETY PICK+ (TSP+) awarded vehicles of any auto manufacturer in the industry. Hyundai Motor Group has 17 award-winning vehicles between its Hyundai, KIA and Genesis brands. Hyundai branded models earned 7 awards, KIA branded models earned 8 awards and Genesis branded models earned 2 awards. The Hyundai brand tied for top industry brand honors in Aug. and Feb. 2020 and was the leader in 2018.
A high level of cross-functional execution put Hyundai Motor Group in an advantageous position for so many of our models to achieve these results, despite having a smaller model lineup than some of the competitors.
Both TSP and TSP+ awards require “Good” ratings in all six IIHS crashworthiness tests — driver- and passenger-side small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraints. Award winners must be available with front crash prevention technology that earns a “Superior” or “Advanced” rating in both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluations. TOP SAFETY PICK winners must also be available with “Good” or “Acceptable” headlights. The “plus” designation is given to models that have “Good” or “Acceptable” headlights across all trim levels and packages.
“To protect the safety of our customers is part of our culture,” said Brian Latouf Chief Safety Officer, Hyundai Motor North America. “We are very happy with these results and want to continuously improve in these very severe tests.”
Hyundai Motor Group’s TOP SAFETY PICK+/TOP SAFETY PICK award winning models are:
- Hyundai Palisade – TSP+
- Hyundai Nexo – TSP+
- Hyundai Veloster with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Hyundai Sonata – TSP
- Hyundai Kona with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Hyundai Tucson with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Hyundai Venue – TSP
- Genesis G70 – TSP+
- Genesis G90 – TSP+
- Kia K5 built after November 2020 – TSP+
- Kia Forte with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Kia Soul with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Kia Stinger with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Kia Seltos built after August 2020; with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Kia Sportage with optional front crash prevention – TSP
- Kia Sorento – TSP
- Kia Telluride – TSP